Today, there are more and more types of traditional and modern baby carriers on the market. Despite the differences between them, when deciding on one in particular, we will have to check that it meets some basic principles.
Each different carrying system offers a series of advantages for the baby and for the parents, which are directly related to the comfort when carrying the baby in motion and the way of positioning.
1. You must ensure the correct posture of the baby: Hips and knees bent in a "frog" position, so that the back is slightly curved and the baby is sitting and not hanging.
2. It must be comfortable: Both for parents and for the baby, the baby carrier should give a feeling of comfort, both at the beginning, in the way it adjusts to the body of both, and at the end, when we have been carrying the baby for a while. The shoulder straps must be wide and not digging into the neck, for proper weight distribution. For babies under four or five months, the mei tai and the backpack must have a special headrest.
3. It has to be adjustable: it must be able to adjust and fit well to the body of the wearer. We must check that, when we bend down, the baby does not detach from your body. Regarding the height, the baby has to remain at breast level.
4. The possibilities of the baby carrier: our choice will vary, if only one person can carry it or whoever wants to carry the baby can use it. We must take into account how long we will use it, whether mom and dad will use it or just one of the two to choose the one that best suits our needs.
When buying any baby carrier, we must pay attention to the manuals they include, since some even come with a DVD that explains with demonstrations the best way to place it correctly and in the simplest way.
It is a slightly elastic strip of fabric 50 - 70 cm wide and 5 m long.
1. Very easy to adjust and comfortable.
2. It allows first to tie the knot and then to place the baby, therefore, it is ideal for inexperienced parents.
3. It is very soft, ideal for the sensitive skin of newborns.
4. It can be used by anyone (does not have a size).
- From 8-9 Kg of weight of the baby they tend to give more and are less comfortable.
It is a fabric made to carry babies. Its length will depend on the complexion of the carrier (between 3 and 6 meters). From 18 months, more or less, it is advisable to wear a firm and thick scarf.
1. Can be used from day one to beyond 3 years.
2. It is the most versatile because it allows different positions.
3. The support is optimal: the baby's body is completely attached to the adult's and the fabric distributes the weight on both shoulders.
4. Does not deform with use.
- You have to practice, since it is a fabric of great length.
Types: kikuyu, didymos
It is a fabric like a bag. It can be used from day one in the crib position. When the baby has control of the head and part of the back, he will be brought to the hip, the most recommended position.
1. It takes up very little space and is the fastest to put on and take off.
2. Very easy to use.
- Weight is on one shoulder.
- You have to choose your size, although some can already be adjusted.
Types: pouch, pockets
70 cm wide fabric band and two metal rings through which the fabric passes.
1. Thanks to the rings it can be adjusted very well.
2. It is very easy to use, especially to breastfeed discreetly and comfortably. Allows different positions.
3. It can be used from newborns, in a cradle or upright position, to older children, on the hip or back.
- Weight is on one shoulder.
- Must be adjusted every time.
Types: tonga, hip seat.
Traditional Asian baby carrier, it is a rectangle of fabric with four wide straps.
1. It allows long journeys because the weight is well distributed.
2. It can be used from birth to 3-4 years, although the ideal is from 4 months.
3. The baby can be carried on the front, on the hips or on the back.
4. It is very cool, light and comfortable.
- The newborn has to carry the legs in "m" and a support for the head.
Backpack that respects the natural posture of the baby or child.
1. Comfortable and easy to use, and recommended for long excursions.
2. Parents like it a lot because it has a more masculine style. It allows to transport the child comfortably from birth to 15-20 kg of weight.
- The optimal posture is from 5-6 months with the baby's legs on the outside (depending on the model).
- It's not cheap, but it pays for itself.
- Some need reducer or cushion so that they can adapt.
Types: ergobaby, manduca, bandollini by Hoppediz, marsupi plus, baby carrier ...
You can read more articles similar to Baby carrier. Different systems of carrying the baby in your arms, in the category of Porting on site.